ESA Dropkick 6’s Report.

February 20, 2017


Back Row Left to Right: Craig Holt, Luke Wilkinson, Joseph MacInnes, Harley Birchley, Paddy Hutchinson (Loaned Out), George Wickenden (Loaned Out)

Front Row Left to Right: Tony Hastings, Chris Pollock (Captain)


The morning on the south bank of the Firth of Forth was bright, but cold and windswept
as the ESA squad arrived for a day of Shinty. The day started repaying an old debt to friends
from Caithness. They had travelled south with insufficient players, but with 9 players for a 6s
tournament (and in the spirit of Shinty) ESA loaned them Hutchinson and Wickenden for the
day. Both players were highly commended for their performances in Caithness’ sky blue shirts,
however losing two out and out defenders certainly would impact the ESA team selection and
force a shuffle of the outfield players.

Game 1: St. Andrew’s vs. ESA
The opening match in the group saw ESA pitted against St. Andrew’s. Many players on
the field had faced off before and this was reflected in a tight first half. The teams matched each
other swing for swing with both teams’ shooting just wide of the target. Saunders was
particularly effective at mopping up any loose balls in the ESA third and sending them clear.
During the last play of the half St. Andrew’s attacked again; after an initial save from Hastings
there was a scramble in the D which saw a striker able to poke the ball over the line. Pollock
was replaced at the interval due to an injury.
The throw-up for the second half saw ESA attack with more vigor and they were
awarded the goal they deserved early doors. The ball was cleared up the centre of the field.
With the St. Andrew’s defenders both running to the ball, it was swept right where MacInnes
found himself in enough space to strike a thunderbolt and level the score. 1-1. St. Andrew’s
pushed back and the match remained tense. Even with players out of their usual positions ESA
were giving a strong account of themselves and a draw was on the cards. Then disaster struck.
With about 2 minutes left to play a speculative cross came in from St. Andrew’s left midfield. A
missed control touch from the makeshift defence saw the ball sit perfectly to be tapped home at
the far post. Despite a re-shuffle on the pitch for ESA, this proved decisive and made the final
result 2-1.

Game 2: Dunoon vs. ESA
With Pollock off injured from the previous game and Dunoon a well known force to be
reckoned with this match was always going to be tough. Lots of effort and and heart, however,
was not enough to overcome the technical superiority of Dunoon. The ESA defence matched
the Dunoon pair in attack, however were unable to respond when the midfield stepped up to
create men over. ESA did create chances of their own, however they needed to adjust their aim
as these tended to fire wide of the mark. 3-0 may have seemed flattering, but there is no doubt
the stronger team won this encounter.
Result 3-0

Game 3: Uddingston vs. ESA
Immediately following a disappointing loss to Dunoon, ESA were back in action against
an in form Uddingston. Pollock had ended up in nets with an injury preventing outfield play,
pushing Hastings up into left wing back. The real battle of the match was between MacInnes
and the Uddingston captain in the centre of the pitch. Early on their captain broke free attacking
the ESA right. Saunders put in the block, but took an injury in the process as a camán was
broken across his leg. This was a huge blow as he had been a stalwart in defence all
tournament. This put Wilkinson back into defence and Holt leading the attacking line. Similar to
the St. Andrew’s match, blows were traded with defence winning over attack at both ends of the
pitch. The deadlock was broken when the Uddingston captain found space between the ESA
midfield and defence and unleashed a rocket that fizzed into the back of the net.
The second half saw MacInnes push further forward, which served well to pin back the
Uddingston midfield and the direct threat of conceding any more goals. Uddingston responded
by sending more attacks down the flanks, stretching Wilkinson and Hastings with their pace.
Half way through the half the Uddingston full-forward put the ball past an onrushing Pollock,
only to have his attempt denied by the quick thinking and athleticism of Wilkinson in the
defence; flicking the ball off the goal line. ESA did respond with a few opportunities of their own
with some long range efforts. However, the exertions of the previous match showed with a lack
of urgency following in meaning the opposition keeper was rarely under pressure to clear away.
Final score 1-0.

Game 4: Aberdeen vs. ESA
With both teams having failed to pick up any points in the group stages and therefore
eliminated, this game was purely for pride. Both teams responded to this with a well-spirited and
physical contest. MacInnes had been ESA’s biggest threat all tournament and was moved up to
a roaming Buckshee Forward role to try and put him into more threatening areas of the pitch
with Birchley slotting into a Full Centre role. This paid dividends almost immediately. With the
ball coming down from the throw up in the Aberdeen half MacInnes was immediately able to put
them on the back foot and after a 1-2 passing move found himself in space to fire home his first.
A great solo effort saw him slot in his second a couple of minutes later. Whist Aberdeen had
their own periods of pressure the ESA defence held resolutely; efficiently resisting their corner
routines and turning defence into more ESA opportunities. In the last minute of the first half
MacInnes found himself in the opposition D again after a fine run. This time the Aberdeen
defence got the block in, however Birchley had followed in from the centre of the park and was
able to scramble the ball through the crowd and over the line, opening his account for the
tournament. 3-0 at half-time.
Two minutes after the half Birchley picked up his second goal; pouncing onto a
stationary ball just outside the D and blasting it into the top of the net. Even with the game
effectively won, ESA kept the pressure up, peppering the Aberdeen goal with more shots. With
90 seconds to go MacInnes fired just over the crossbar with a sweet strike, however the game
was won by his point. Final score 0-4.

Game 5: Caithness vs. ESA
With both the teams who had travelled furthest crashing out in the group stage of the
tournament there was time for this match as the semi-finalists prepared. The prize: a bottle of
Talisker. Wickenden and Hutchinson returned from their loan to Caithness, but to replace them
was some of St. Andrew’s finest. This game was always to be close. The game was played
predominantly in the middle of the park with both teams desperate not to lose ground. As the
clock counted down ESA looked to be getting the upper hand, stretching the defence wide and
putting balls through the middle to threaten the goal. All that was needed was the final shot.
With the last play of the half Caithness fired a clearance long high into the air. The striker
(loaned from St. Andrew’s) went to bring the ball down with Hutchinson ready to mop up and
see out the half, however, the contact wasn’t clean catching everyone unaware as the ball
dropped into the bottom-right corner of the goal.
The second half saw MacInnes equalise with yet another well directed strike. Again the
game was on and all in white and blue were giving their all to both not concede and snatch the
winner. Wickenden and Hutchinson had their opponents contained, but from nothing Caithness
managed to find an absolute screamer that left defence and goalkeeper rooted as it flew from
the halfway line into the top corner. ESA showed plenty of fight with everyone chasing back to
make tackles and the defence pushing up on the offensive. The last play saw Hutchinson fizz
the ball low and hard towards the goal, a camán to it would have deflected it in and leveled the
match, however it wasn’t to be and the ball drifted two inches wide of the upright. Final score



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

2020 post lock down plan 

On the 18th of May the English Shinty Association committee met to discuss the impact of the current government lock down on...

2020 post lock statement

June 1, 2020

Please reload

Recent Posts

November 23, 2019

Please reload

Please reload

Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

© 2020 by ESA.